Before you do run out the door, please do these three things:
- Call VAGA at 540-369-8920 and leave a voice AND text message detailing your address, home phone number, cell phone number, a description of your dog, and where your dog was last seen.
- Your second notification should be to send an email to email@example.com or call a VAGA Board Member so we can put out a call for volunteers to help search and monitor the phones number in case someone has found your dog and called in.
- Call your local animal control/shelter/police (some area shelter numbers are listed below) to report your missing dog.
When searching for your greyhound, please take your cell phone so we can be in contact with you. Walk or drive your neighborhood slowly and use the squawker if you have one. Not all greyhounds will come running at the sound but most of them will stop long enough to find out what the sound is, giving you a better opportunity to spot them.
Greyhounds have a tendency to run in clockwise circles and may double back so even though he might not be there the first five times you go down the street, he very well may be there on trip number six. Ask your neighbors to keep an eye out for your dog.
If you spot the dog and he appears to be spooked (even a friendly greyhound can get spooked after being loose), get down on the ground – lay on your back if you have to – and gently call your dog. Sudden movements will send him running again.
If you don’t find your dog, make sure to leave food and water outside. Also, leave your outside lights on overnight and a familiar blanket out so that he will know “this” is home should he find his way back. Leave the gate open so he can get in. Set your alarm & check outside every hour.
The Next Day
Put up flyers everywhere you can while still searching and make sure you offer a reward. Dogs that have been missing for as many as 3 days have still been found by searching every day.
Place ads in local newspapers and on the local radio stations. Call local vet clinics and alert them that your dog is missing.
Preventative Measures to Ensure Your Greyhound Remains Safe
Please be sure your dog wears their Embroidered collar and tags 24 hours a day. Your dog’s collar is their only ticket home if they get lost. There are more Good Samaritans out there than you think. Most people will call if they find your dog, but they can’t call if they don’t have the phone number! Your greyhound’s life depends on it.
- Teach your dog to ‘Wait’ and use it every single time you go out a door.
- Keep a lock on all gates. Children, utility people & neighbors are famous for leaving gates open.
- Check your fence to make sure there are no open areas the dog can squeeze through.
- Make sure there are no picnic tables, etc. the dog can climb up on that will allow him to jump over the fence. If your dog is interested in your fence, hang large jingle bells around the top of the fence. This usually will send the dog in the opposite direction, or at least alert you that the dog is up at the fence.
- NEVER leave the dog outside if you are leaving the house – even if you’re just running next door for a couple of minutes. It only takes a minute to lose the dog.
- Make sure all latches on your screen doors are secure. A greyhound is very adept at latch picking. After all, they spend a lot of time in kennels and will often find ways of amusing themselves – like learning to trip a latch on a door.
- Go to your local hardware store and get decorative iron to place in your screen/patio doors (it fits up next to the screen). This way, your dog can’t rip out the screen & you still can enjoy the fresh air.
Albemarle Co. (434) 970-3280
Alexandria City 703-838-4775
Arlington Co. 703-931-9241
Caroline Co. (804) 633-9041
Charlottesville City 434-977-9041
Chesterfield Co. 804-748-1683
Culpeper Co. (540) 547-4477
District of Columbia 202-576-6664
Fairfax City 703-385-7924
Fairfax: Co. 703-691-2131
Falls Church City 703-241-5050
Fauquier Co. (540) 422-8750
Fredericksburg City (540) 373-3122
Hanover Co. (804) 365-6485
Henrico Co. (804) 727-8800 or (804) 501-5000 (after hours)
King George Co. (540) 775-2120
Loudoun Co. (Eastern)703-777-0406)
Loudoun Co. (Western) 540-882-3211
Louisa Co. 540-967-1234
Manassas City (703) 257-2420
New Kent Co. (804) 966-9500
Orange Co. (540) 672-9725 and (540) 672-1124
Prince William Co. 703-792-6465 or 703-792-6500 (after 5)
Richmond City 804-646-5573
Spotsylvania Co. (540) 582-7115 and (540) 507-7459
Stafford Co. (540) 658-9366
Williamsburg City (757) 253-1800
If your local police department or animal control is not listed or a number is incorrect, please e-mail VAGA so it can be added/corrected.